Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Card Week, Part 3

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Flipping the sketch is one of the absolute easiest ways to get another completely different look. The cards from Carolyn, Jill, and Shari are some fantastic examples of flipping the sketch and some super cute love themed cards just perfect for Valentine's Day. 

Card Sketch #3


 You can download and print this sketch by clicking on the card sketches link found under the "printable sketches" tab on the right sidebar.


 "Love You to Pieces" card by Carolyn Wolff
Supply List - Cardstock: Bazzill; Patterned paper: American Crafts, Pebbles Inc & We R Memory Keepers; 
Bling: Imaginisce; 
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink
; Doilie: Royal Lace; Floss: Bazzill; Stamps: Stamping Bella & Close To My Heart; Other: Prismacolor pencils

Variation #1 – I decided to turn the sketch and make a vertical card that opened on the right side. My main element would now be at the top of my card.

Variation #2 –I replaced the square layers of paper with a heart shaped paper doilie. I don’t really give away very many valentine or love related cards, but I really liked the idea of using the heart theme.

Variation #3 – In place of the hearts shown on the sketch, I decided to paper piece a stamp that I had. She is an adorable little girl and just happened to have little hearts on her dress. Although this technique is very time consuming, it is well worth it in the end.


 I rounded the corners on the white base and matted it with a coordinating pattern paper. I added a little bling to her pony tails. I just love her!

Variation #4 – I still wanted to include the strips of pattern paper so I mounted them on some brown cardstock and placed them along the bottom of my card.

Variation #5 - I placed my sentiment opposite my stamped/pieced image.


 It balanced my card perfectly. I added some machine stitching as a border around the base of my card.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


"Be Mine" card by Jill Sarginson
Supplies - Cardstock: Bazzill Basics; Patterned paper: Bo Bunny Love Bandit Collection, Pink Paislee Cupid Collection; Letter Stickers: Carolee's Creations; Ink: Versamark; Ribbon: Unknown; Tools: Close to my Heart edge distresser, Creative Memories circle cutter, Fiskars Scallop Sentiments punch; Miscellaneous: Pop dots

Variation #1: I opted to rotate the sketch and have it open from the bottom, as opposed to the side.

Variation #2: Instead of having three pieces of pattern paper running across the card, I opted to place them on top of each other and I substituted a piece of ribbon for one of them.

Variation #3: I added an additional layer onto the cardstock.

Notes: I cut the little love bandit guy out of the Bo Bunny paper - to hide any inconsistencies with this fussy cutting, simply ink the edges. As well, consider pop dotting embellishments like this so they pop out a bit more.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


"I Love You" card by Shari Thurman
Supplies - Pattern paper and journaling sprouts: Jillibean Soup; Alphabet: American crafts; Tools: Creative Memories heart punch; Other: cardstock, machine stitching and ribbon

For this card I wanted to make this three dimensional pink heart and decided to use a journaling sprout attached to a larger square as the main foundation for the card. I added the background green gingham paper to contrast the pink instead of using the three strips of paper across the card. I decided to turn the card vertically to accomodate the alphabet stickers. I finished off the card by stitching around the edges of the paper and down the middle of the heart for added interest. I then topped off the heart with a pink bow.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

14 comments:

dawn said...

These are all so cute and love the variety of them. Great job ladies.

Crystal said...

I love them. So cute and unique!

Scrapthat said...

Lovely work Ladies!! TFS!

thearthurz said...

Very cute projects!

Katrina Hunt said...

cute cards...and Jill...LOVE that ribbon...it almost looks like felt!!!

Jill Sarginson said...

Thanks Katarina ... I can't remember who made it. I got it in a grab bag - it's soft and a bit fuzzy ... :D

debbie susee said...

Wow! Super cute cards.

connie said...

great cards! love the heart one.

COScraps said...

Love them! Jill's yours is amazing! Great job...
Connie O.

Amy said...

Girls I LOVE these cards!! I don't make many cards myself...but you are inspiring me! : ) Can't wait to see more.

mustangkayla said...

Wowee....another batch of fantastic cards!

reen said...

I was once again stuck in my box. Hadn't even thought of flipping it! These cards are all so adorable.

Precious Memories Scrapbooking & More said...

love them all. gr8 job ladies!

BethW said...

These are all fantastic-I love them!