The three cards we are sharing today from Melissa, Carolyn, and Christy show some different ways you can add the sun rays to your card.
Card Sketch #6
You can download and print this sketch by clicking on the card sketches link found under the "printable sketches" tab on the right sidebar.
"You are my Sunshine" card by Melissa Elsner
Supplies - Patterned Paper: Scenic Route; Cardstock: Bazzill Basics Paper (kraft), Core'dinations (white); Sticker: SRM Stickers; Embroidery Floss: DMC; Electronic Cutter: Silhouette SD (sun and clouds); Embossing Machine and Folders: Cuttlebug (Provo Craft)
Variations: I love how hand stitching with the embroidery floss adds the perfect amount of soft texture to the card and was also a fun way to include the sun rays from the sketch. To add the texture to the clouds, I cut them out with the Silhouette and then ran them through my Cuttlebug.
I love the effect. I then finished it off by adhering the clouds with pop dots and adding the sticker from SRM.
"You Are My Sunshine" card by Carolyn Wolff
Supply List - Cardstock: American Crafts, Coredinations; Die-cuts: Create a Critter Cricut cartrigde (Clouds, rainbow); Sentiment: SRM Stickers; Punch: EK Success; Stitching Template: Bazzill; Floss: We R Memory Keepers; Sanding Tool: Tim Holtz; Ink: Ranger Distress Ink (Vintage Photo); Pop Dots: Zots
What a great card sketch. While I was making this it was snowing outside, not just regular snow, cotton ball size snowflakes. The sunshine on the card gave me some hope that summer is right around the corner.
Variation #1 – I decided to stitch my sun. I used a template to create the circle and then I randomly drew lines for the rays. I inserted a punched circle from yellow cardstock to the center of the stitched circle.
Variation #2 – I used a Cricut cartridge to cut out the clouds and I also added a rainbow for a splash of colour. I used pop dots to raise all my die-cuts.
Variation #3 – I used a teal card base and sanded the edges of the cardstock. I placed the white mat on top of my card base using pop dots.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
"Happy Birthday" card by Christy Arthur
Products - Cosmo Cricket: Butterflies and Doilies Social Club and Tiny Type; My Mind's Eye: Stella and Rose buttons; Hambly: Decorative Washi Tape (Teal Script, Brown Woodgrain, Pink Doily Brown Birds, Fuschia Floral and Lime Woodgrain); BasicGrey: Life of the Party Candy Bag; Pink Paislee: Hometown Summer Summer Fun; Sassafras: Mix and Mend Journal Tags Stickers; Studio Calico: Mister Huey Piglet, Lemonade, Orchard and Applejack; Crate Paper: Portrait Accent Cuts
• I used washi tape to create the diagonal lines from the sketch. I varied the pattern to give it some variation and color.
• I added a journaling card behind the circle. I added a few sticker elements along the journal card for some additional color. Then I added the "happy birthday" text along the card.
• For the circle element, I punched a scalloped circle with the "dot" paper. Then I used my craft knife to trim the center out of the scalloped circle so I could use it to "frame" the yellow punched circle. I set the completed circle a little off center and added a few butterflies and a button to the center.
• I added a few mist droplets of various colors to the white areas of the diagonal to finish up the card.