Thursday, July 7, 2011

Card Week, Part 4

••••••••••••••••
Card Sketch #9


You can download and print this sketch by clicking on the card sketches link found under the "printable sketches" tab on the right sidebar.


"Barbeque Star" by Jennifer Larson
Supplies - Cardstock: Bazzill; Patterned Paper: Scenic Route, The Girls' Paperie, October Afternoon, BoBunny; Stickers: October Afternoon; Star Punch: Fiskars; Pens: Zig, Signo Uniball; Journaling spot: Ella Publishing List It! Holiday Edition; Buttons, brad: Craft Supply

1. The sketch made me think of these 4x6 vertical photos of my husband and his grilled masterpiece, so I thought of using the strips of paper above and below the photos on a layout. I reduced the number of strips to make it work.

2. The design is so perfect for scraps, so I dug into my scrap supply to find paper that was sort of a mix between 4th of July and summer. I didn't want to go strictly red-white-blue.

3. I added some stars around the title and date for balance.


4. The stitched stars were crooked. So I added buttons to distract a little.


 • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


"Cropping at Palooza" by Katrina Hunt
Supplies - Patterned Paper: Nikki Sivils, Scrapbooker (Summer and Willow Bee collections); Stickers and Die Cuts: Nikki Sivils, Scrapbooker (Summer collection); Foam Letters: American Crafts Thickers; Punches: EK Success and Martha Stewart; Adhesive: Scotch ATG and Scrapbook Adhesives

I knew this sketch was calling for me to use my border punches in one way or another. I started to make a card, but I just wasn’t feeling the love. So I opted to make a layout instead! This also allowed me to crinkle the border strips to give the layout more dimension.

• Variation 1 - Layout instead of sketch

• Variation 2 - Grounded the strips on a background piece of paper that I also used a border punch on.

• Variation 3 - Added the side border to the background piece, plus the adding of more elements.

 • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


"Summer Fun" by Christy Arthur
Products - Simple Stories 100 Days of Summer Sweet memories, flashcards, hellow sunshine, title strip elements and expressions; My Minds Eye Lime Twist Happy Go Lucky; Studio Calico Fly By Paper, Mister Huey in Schoolhouse and Lemonade; October Afternoon Mini Market Black and Cream Stickers

I turned the card sketch into a one page layout. I "placed" the sketch on the left side of the layout. I used some larger strips of paper on the top and bottom and then layered some smaller strips in the center that are angled slightly, which is different from the sketch.

I added a border to the side of the layout made out of punched circles that are cut in half. Some stitching and a journal card complete the layout.
•••••••••••••••••••••••

3 comments:

dawn said...

Great way to use the strips/scraps on a layout. Great job on them ladies. Another inspiring week here in sketches.

Kathy said...

Unbelievable again! These layouts are amazing!! I love them all and the stitched stars being a little crooked just lend to the overall creativity. But I know being rather "anal" myself, I'm bugged when something looks off on my own work...I need to give myself more freedom from perfection! Great, great work!!

Rae Barthel said...

great sketch!!
i had fun playing with it, here is my take:
http://simplyrae.blogspot.com/2011/07/sketch-support-card-sketch.html