Friday, July 22, 2011

Add-on Week, Part 5

••••••••••••••••••••
Add-on Sketch #7

You can download and print this sketch by clicking on the add-on sketches link found under the "printable sketches" tab on the right sidebar.


"God Bless America" by Melissa Bell
Supply List - 8x10 Canvas: Art Alternatives; Patterned Paper: Scenic Route; Ink: ColorBox Chalk Ink (Blue Iris); Pop Dots: EK Success; Letters: American Crafts; Floss: DMC; Border Punch: Fiskars; Rhinestones: Kaisercraft; Paint: Ceramcoat by Delta (Tompte Red); Other: Cardstock, Aluminum Wire

I originally tried to think outside the box when it came to this sketch, but I just kept being drawn back to the fireworks. I don't have very many holiday decorations and decided I wanted to use it on a canvas. This was my second time to use the backside of a canvas for a home decor item. It is so much fun to do! I painted every part of the canvas and then glued down all of the different parts.

I stuck to the firework sketch for the most part with a few variations. I love how the sketch is very detailed about how to stitch the sparklers. Worked perfectly for me and I used metallic DMC floss to make sure they really did sparkle.

• Variation #1 - I added rectangle bases to my fireworks. They add some visual interest and ground the sparklers.


• Variation #2 - Instead of stitching the firework stems I used aluminum wire. I stuck the wire into the pop dots under the rectangle bases and then cushioned the other end between two small pop dots that are covered by the center circles.

 • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


Christmas Card by Amy Roller
Supplies - Brads: Making memories; Rhinestones: Recollections; Stamps, ink, paper, punches: Stampin UP!

I decided to use the add-on sketch on a card. I knew instantly that I wanted to use a stamp I had that followed the sketches overall design. I stamped it along with Mary,Joseph, and baby Jesus, and the sentiment on my cardstock.


I used two markers to add the "glow" around the scene and then added some star shaped brads in the sky, and rhinestones along the stamped sparkle in the sky. I then used a border punch along the right side. Last I added a dark cardstock background that matched the stamped images.
••••••••••••••••••••••••

3 comments:

COScraps said...

Melissa, love your frame what a great decoration! Amy the card is great! I really like that saying!

dawn said...

I love love the fireworks frame. Great idea and colors, the fireworks look awesome

The card is so pretty, I love the stars and the bling. What a great idea.

Luv2talk said...

Love that you used it 'upside down'. Yet another way to make a sketch your own.