Thursday, July 14, 2011

Two-Page Week, Part 4

••••••••••••••••••••••

Two-Page Sketch #17


 You can download and print this sketch by clicking on the two-page sketches link found under the "printable sketches" tab on the right sidebar.


"Game On" by Suzanna Lee
Supplies - Cardstock: Bazzill, Coredinations; Patterned paper: SEI, DCWV, Heidi Swapp; Ribbon: Green Horned Unicorn; Bling: Prima, The Paper Studio; Ink: Ranger; Paint: Ranger; Stickers: AdornIt; Alphas stickers: American Crafts

I flipped the sketch for this layout. And, because the theme is soccer, I used soccer balls instead of stars. Rather than stitching, I used bling as my unifying element.


I matted what was the 4x4 picture which I kept at 4x6 as I needed it to stand out from the background. And, because I didn't have two pages of the same paper for my background, I distressed, inked and splatted paint on a piece of green cardstock to create the similar feel that the SEI paper had.

Those of you who know me, know that my journaling is always an after thought, so, in keeping with that, no, it's not there! It will go under the title. I put the title within the large element rather than on the opposite page. I also used three 4x6 pictures rather than the 4x4's specified.

 • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


“Sporting Heavy Metal” by Megan Bickers
Supplies - Patterned Paper: Scrap Within Reach ‘The District 406’; Cardstock: Bazzill; Alphabets: Autumn Leaves Stamps ‘Snap Frame’, Making Memories, K&Company; Adhesive: Hot Glue Gun and Glue Dots; Brads: Making Memories, We R Memory Keepers; Inkpad: Marvy Uchida (Black); Stickers: 7 Gypsies ‘Mini Labels’; Journaling Block: Making Memories; Pens: Zig Writer ‘Black’, Close To My Heart Marker ‘Cranberry’; Other: Fibre Craft ‘Silver Wire’, Bind it All ‘Wire Cutters’, Making Memories ‘Craft Hammer’.

Variation #1: What I fell in love with on this sketch was the sewn on star accents. I had just taken photos of my son when he got his braces on this week, and the stitched row of stars reminded me of braces, so I went with that theme instead of the stars. I created my own “brackets” with the larger square brads, then I glued a small green square of cardstock to the top of the silver square (to mimic his green rubber bands he chose), and glued the smaller square brads to the top to complete the bracket.


For the smaller brads, I just cut off the prongs on the back with my wire cutters first, then tapped the square brad head flat with my hammer. The finished brackets were then glued down to strips of paper and I added a silver wire underneath to complete the look of my custom braces. Hot glue was the best adhesive to use for these since it was quick and holds great. Other than trading the stars for brackets, the only other variation to this part of the sketch was that I added the paper strips and kept the row straight instead of adding them in a curve.

Variation #2: I used seven 4x6 photos instead of the six photos detailed in the sketch. The only photo I cropped down was the close-up photo of my son’s braces and I only trimmed about ¾” off the left side.


Variation #3: Because I added larger photos and a second row on the second page, I didn’t have as much room for the star shape, so I substituted the journaling notebook page in place of the larger star shape.




Variation #4: For my title, I stamped the word “heavy” on some coordinating cardstock and colored in the letters with a red marker. Then I spelled out the words “sporting” and “metal” with various metal alphabets.


 • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


"You Make My Heart Flutter" by Amy Roller
Supplies - Cardstock: Close to My Heart, Stampin Up!; Punch: Anna Griffin, Stampin Up!; Mask: Martha Stewart; Ink: Glimmer mist, Stampin UP! ink pad and marker and splatter tool, Tim Holtz Distress Ink-Dusty Concord; Lace: My Mind's Eye and unknown; Tulle: Hobby Lobby; Swirl rhinestones: Prima; Stamps: Close To My Heart; Chipboard Butterflies: K&Co; Sticker: Recollections; Title stickers: American Crafts, unknown minis; Patterned paper: My Mind's Eye

I started out knowing I wanted to use pictures of our younger selves and use butterflies. I had a mask in mind, (which is actually a cake stencil!) and so I started with it and Glimmer Mist. I then inked all my edges with distress ink and splattered each page with a Stampin UP! air tool and a marker.

For the large element on the right side I decided to use a butterfly to follow the theme of the page.


I looked at a butterfly embellishment I had and just sketched out by hand the shape I wanted. I then traced it onto my pattern paper and again onto a piece of cardstock. On the cardstock layer I then hand drew the details and used an exacto knife to cut out every other "vein" on the wings. I also added pop dots to this layer, allowing the pattern below to show through and give it some depth.




Afterwards I added in thickers and stickers.

Next I placed my lace that runs horizontally across the page. I made it slightly pleated and then added my punched butterflies to it, the rhinestones are already on the lace.


To finish it off I added in a few chipboard butterflies that actually have acetate layers over them, some rhinestones here and there and added a sentiment to the butterfly instead of journaling.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••

3 comments:

dawn said...

Hooray for another soccer layout, love it.

The braces are amazing and sooooo very cool. My daughter just got hers and she would love this idea. What a perfect sketch this was for your idea. I also like his shirt and that he posed for all those pictures for you. The title is cool too.

The last one is so pretty, love the big butterfly. Sweet photos.

Allison Davis said...

Great layouts girls!!

Suzanna, the soccer theme turned out so great with this sketch! You and Jill both showed such great examples of that!

Megan, I love, love, love the metal "brackets" you made. So clever!

Amy, that big butterfly is amazing! I can't believe you hand drew that!

:)

scrapinbabygal said...

How beautiful!!
I love all of these and how each designer made unique details in the soccer balls with jewels and the metal braces.

I did TWO takes on this sketch:
http://sabrinaslifedocumented.blogspot.com/2011/08/sketch-support.html