Monday, December 19, 2011

Add-on Week, Part 1

•••••••••••••••••••••
Add-on Sketch #12

You can download and print this sketch by clicking on the add-on sketches link found under the "printable sketches" tab on the right sidebar.


"Merry Christmas Wreath" by Katrina Hunt
Supplies - Patterned Paper: Nikki Sivils, Scrapbooker (Gingerbread Land and Something for Everyone Collections); Cardstock: American Crafts; Die Cut Embellishments: Nikki Sivils, Scrapbooker (Gingerbread Land Collection); Adhesives: Glue Arts, Fabri Tac, Ranger, and Hot Glue Gun; Twine: The Twinery (Baker’s Twine in Buttercup); Felt Bird: Basically Bare; Ribbon, Styrofoam Balls and Wreath Form: Michaels; Glitter: Donna Salazar/Clearsnap; Tools: Cricut Expression with the Wrap it Up, Winter Wonderland, and Martha Stewart Seasons cartridges.

Variation 1 - I used the strips as suggested in the sketch, but I border punched the bottoms before cutting them.


Variation 2 - The tree trunk was made to look similar to a pot by adding the die cut border strip.

Variation 3 - Added ornaments and bows to the tree.

  • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


"Our Santa Visit Gone Bad" by Allison Davis
Supplies - Cardstock: Bazzill; Patterned paper: Basic Grey; Alphabet stickers: Doodlebug and SEI; Stickers: 7Gyspsies; Ribbon: Offray and May Arts

This is actually the original tree that inspired the design of Add-on Sketch #12. I used both patterned paper and ribbon to construct mine and then added a hand stitched garland on it.

Hand Stitched Garland Tip:

Usually I would just draw the design that I want to stitch but since I had used ribbon on my tree I couldn't really do that for the garland. Instead, I made a duplicate of the tree base, a piece of cardstock cut to the exact same size of the tree. Then I drew my garland design on that. When I was happy with the look I laid the cardstock tree on top of the ribbon tree and pierced the holes along the pencil lines. It slips and slides of track often so you have to readjust a lot or you can use a removable adhesive and adhere it to the front and then remove it when you are done.
••••••••••••••••

6 comments:

dawn said...

What an awesome wreath, love that it's winter/christmas together. great job!!

Allison, cute layout of Drew, such a cutie. Love your tree and garland on it. Great colors.

Excited for another tree week again!!

Amanda said...

Those are both great projects! The wreath is so pretty and I LOVE the pictures on the layout! Great job!

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh those photos crack me up. Poor little guy! And this add on sketch was awesome to use! Looking forward to the rest of the week.

Lynette Jacobs said...

Beautiful wreath and absolute stunning two pager.

Carolyn Wolff said...

We are off to a great start!

Katrina - Wow! I love the idea of a wreath with the tree. Your tree is so detailed and all the additional embellishments are perfect.

Allison - Aww, poor Drew! Some kids really don't like Santa. His face is priceless and some day he will laugh at these and wonder what he was scared of. Wonderful memories.....oh ya, awesome layout too. Your tree rocks!

Allison Davis said...

I ditto what everyone else said...that wreath is amazing! The details on the tree are amazing!