Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Add-on Week, Part 3

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Today Jennifer and I both used the add-on sketch for a similar purpose yet we both had different outcomes. I love that two people can use the same sketch and get totally different results.

Add-on Sketch #1

You can download and print this sketch by clicking on the add-on sketches link found under the "printable sketches" tab on the right sidebar.


Tea basket label by Jennifer Larson
Supplies - Patterned Paper: Crate Paper and Making Memories; Punches: Marvy Uchida (scallop circles) and EK Success (corner rounder); Letter stickers: Pink Paislee; Floss: DMC; Ink: Stampin' Up!; Laminator: Xyron

1. When I saw the cup, it made me think of my new obsession, hot tea! I decided to make a label for the tea basket in my kitchen.

2. I punched a couple of scallop circles with different patterned paper, trimmed the cup out of another piece of patterned paper, made the cup handle using the directions on the sketch.

3. I inked the edges of the cup to make it stand out more, and I shrunk its size since my label is small. Because the image is smaller, I did not add the decoration on the cup that's in the sketch. I did add the word "tea" with letter stickers.

4. I hand drew the steam lines, then hand stitched with DMC.

5. After assembling the label, I ran it through my Xyron to laminate it.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


Coffee canister by Allison Davis
Supply list - Patterned paper: BasicGrey; chipboard: BasicGrey; Alphabet stickers: Doodlebug; Memory Thread: DMC; Canister: unknown

My husband always leaves the coffee, in it's packaging, on the counter and it drives me insane. It can be a little bit of an eyesore, (when our kitchen is actually clean.) I decided to take advantage of this sketch and turn an eyesore into something a little cuter.

Variation #1 - I needed the mug to be just a little bit larger so I increased all the measurements on the sketch by 1/2".  Adjusting the size of this sketch is super easy if you just keep the same proportions.

Variation #2 - I added a small strip of patterned paper across the middle. I had to be really careful of what kind of paper I used for my mug since bold patterns or darker colors might get lost in all the dark coffee inside the canister. By adding the strip in the middle I was able to add a pattern into my design.

Variaton #3 - Since the canister is holding coffee and not cocoa I went with a chipboard circle with a heart. This seemed perfect since we love coffee in this house! I also added a little bit of hand stitching around the blue circle.

For my swirls I used brown Memory Thread from DMC. This is one of my favorite products. If you've never heard of it before, it's a craft wire wrapped in a colored thread. It is incredibly easy to shape and bend into the design you want and it comes in a large variety of colors. I love using for things like this mug, as an accent on an embellishment.

I also added the word "coffee" underneath the mug. My five-year-old has been attempting to make his own breakfast and snacks and I didn't want him to get confused and think it was for hot chocolate. The last thing our little red-headed ball of hyper needs is caffeine. 
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

10 comments:

Michelle*G said...

Very cute ideas! Love the tea basket!

dawn said...

I love both of these ideas. How cute to have a tea basket and love the clear coffee jar. I'm loving all these ideas.

Allison how cute for Drew to be making his breakfast and snacks, that's a independent little boy you have.

Crystal aka Caitlynsmommy said...

Great job you two. I love the diversity! You definitely got my wheels turning!

Carolyn Wolff said...

I love both of these creations. I don't drink tea or coffee (I know, weird) but I am sure I can find another reason to make up one of these cute jars/baskets. Thanks for the inspiration!

Precious Memories Scrapbooking & More said...

cute ideas girls, the basket would make a great gift wether it be coffee,tea or hot cocoa packs! Love it, thanks for the ideas!

Staci

Allison Davis said...

It would be cute for hot cocoa packs! I didn't even think of that and what a cute gift it would be! :)

debbie susee said...

Love that you both labeled every day items.

Paula in Ontario, Canada said...

I'm getting thirsty!

Carolyn Wolff said...

Ha! Paula in Ontario.....you are too funny.

The Mancilla Family said...

great ideas!!!! love the coffee canister!