Friday, May 6, 2011

Card Week, Part 5 and a bonus sketch

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Shari, Christy, and Suzanna have all created wonderful layouts based on the card sketch. Each one uses the sketch in a completely different way.

We've also got our first bonus sketch in celebration of National Scrapbook Day and don't forget to check back tomorrow for our National Scrapbook Day blog hop! 

Card Sketch #6


You can download and print this sketch by clicking on the card sketches link found under the "printable sketches" tab on the right sidebar.


"Sunset on the Farm" by Shari Thurman
Supply List - Pattern Paper and Die Cut Elements: Kaiser Craft; Tools: Martha Stewart border punch; Ink: Colorbox Chalk Ink; Other: Machine Stitching and Cardstock

I loved the bright and cheery sun on this weeks sketch and knew right away I wanted to use it to make a layout about my parents farm. I had to adjust the circle. I used a 5" circle instead of the suggested 2" and then cut strips in random widths for the sun rays as shown on the sketch. I used yellow cardstock as my base and then attached the strips of the lemon paper on top. I then stitched between the sun rays on the cardstock and attached the sun to kraft paper.

I hand cut the green curve using a template I made earlier this year based on a previous sketch by Allison. I loved that sketch so much that I hid my curved template away for later use. I just love circles and curves on layouts.


I then tucked in my red fence border. To get the fence to curve, I simply snipped the bottom of the border and bent it gently. I held the fence in place by using my sewing machine to stitch around the green patterned paper.

Journaling reads: "It's so nice to be at my parents farm at sunset. Jackson and Mawmaw enjoyed looking at the cows and the other boys enjoyed running around in the barn. Fall 2010"

 • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


"Beautiful Little Girl" by Christy Arthur
Products - Crate Paper: Emma's Shoppe Phrase Stickers, Playhouse, Accent Cuts, Word Stickers - Toy Box Trims; October Afternoon: 5&Dime Shape Stickers, Root Beer Barrels, Bubble Gum, Circus Peanuts, Butterscotch, Label Stickers, Word Stickers and Miscellany; Echo Park: For the Record Table Cloth; Hero Arts: Typewriter Stamps; Studio Calico: Mister Huey Calico White, Schoolhouse, PonyBazzill: In Stitch'z Red/Orange

I simplified the diagonals in the sketch for this layout. I used circles that are stitched together to form the diagonal lines that meet at the green circle in the top left corner.


I chose to keep the diagonals very simple for this layout. To make them more pronounced, I could have stitched all the way across the layout.


 • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


"Good Day Sunshine" by Suzanna Lee
Supplies - Cardstock: Bazzill, Coredinations; Patterned Paper: Cosmo Cricket, Best Creations, Bo Bunny; Paper Ribbon/Frills: Oriental Trading, Doodlebug, K & Co; Ribbon: Recollections, Doodlebug; Puffie: KI Memories; Dimensional Sticker: Jolee's; Letter Stickers: American Crafts, Jenni Bowlin; Ink: Ranger Distress Ink; Misc: crepe paper

The most obvious variation here is that I made an 8.5 x 11 layout instead of a card. I scanned in Allison's sketch and enlarged it in PhotoShop so that I had templates from which to cut the pieces of paper. I chose not to use the clouds as they detracted from the tone on tone feel I wanted to create for my layout. I also added a few extra circles as the sun center.


 • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Bonus Sketch
One-page Sketch #6 - based on Card Sketch #6

You can download and print this sketch by clicking on the one-page sketches link found under the "printable sketches" tab on the right sidebar.

Each Friday in May, in celebration of National Scrapbook Day, I'll be sharing bonus sketches. All of the bonus sketches are based on the sketch for that week. Today the one-page bonus sketch is based on the sunshine card sketch. 

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••


11 comments:

Erica Marshall said...

Love them all! The bonus sketch is awesome, thanks!

Scrapthat said...

Very cool!
LOVE the bonus sketch as well! Can't wait to use it!
TFS!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the bonus sketch and all the great inspiration work here today!

Lisa G. said...

Great layouts everyone!

COScraps said...

Nice Love them all! The Bonus sketch is great!

mthata said...

You are awesome! Love this sketch.

mustangkayla said...

What great layouts! LOVE the sun and design in the first one!

Crystal said...

Thanks for the bonus sketch! I love the last layout!

Cynthia Baldwin said...

Great layouts, ladies! And Allison - thanks for the bonus sketch - it's going in my to-do pile for summer photo scrapping. Love it!

Linda said...

I want to try the bonus sketch. It will be very cute for summer photos.

Amy said...

Cute layout Shari! You always surprise me Christy..love to see what you do with each sketch. Love the color and all those layers Suzanna! And of course..awesome extra sketches!!!!!!!