Saturday, May 14, 2011

Two-Page Week, Part 6 - Guest Designer

•••••••••••••••••••••••••
Two-page Sketch #13


 You can download and print this sketch by clicking on the two-page sketches link found under the "printable sketches" tab on the right sidebar. 


"Snowstorm of a Lifetime" by Angela Ploegman
Supply List - Cardstock: Bazzill; Patterned Paper: BoBunny; Punches: EK Success; Die Cut Paper: Little Yellow Bicycle; Mist: Tattered Angels; Acrylic Snowflakes: Imaginisce; Gems: Teresa Collins; Alphabet Letters: Reminisce (brown BLIZZARD), Basic Grey (LIFETIME); Rubons: American Crafts


Two page sketches are my absolute FAVORITE! It's how I first became a fan of Allison's sketch books. I love having a multi photo 2 page layout all balanced and ready to go, it truly takes the stress out of page design for me!

Because of Allison's well balanced designs, I rarely play around with photo placement on the two pagers. I started by 'winterizing' the layout. I had these pictures from last winter's 'storm of a lifetime' and because of all the white snow in the pictures, I selected a dark brown background to help the pictures pop. I used some punched snowflakes and some snowflakes cut from a die cut paper to create masks, before misting.

The banner in the sketch became a sweeping string of snowflakes and instead of a scalloped border accent, I use a pointed starburst border (it looked like snowflakes to me!). Because of size of the snowflakes I had selected as embellishments, I spread the trio of embellishment clusters to the edge of the page to allow them to fit. I also swapped the title and journaling block as I needed space for a larger title and wanted to better balance the large string of snowflakes. Since the pictures explained the extent of the storm quite well, the journaling could be kept to a minimum.

  • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


"Picking The Perfect One" by Christina Hoffman
Supplies - Cardstock: The Paper Loft; Patterned paper: The Paper Loft; Alphabet: The Paper Studio; Kaiser Craft; Embroidery Floss: DMC; Memory Thread: DMC; Tools: Fiskar's Border Punch, Cricut Machine; Buttons: The Paper Studio

Variation #1: I flipped the sketch.

Variation #2: I layered the 1/2 inch stripe strip over the top of a 1 inch piece of brown cardstock.

Variation #3: I changed the size of the photo's. The photo on the left side of the page is a 5 x 7; the large picture on the right side of the page was an 8 x 10 cut and I cut it down to a 6 x 8. I kept the other picture on the right side of the page the suggested size of 4 x 4.

Variation #4: I created a vine instead of a banner. I free handed the vine.



Variation #5: I moved my title to the top of the left page instead of next to the picture.

Variaiton #6: I placed a scallop border above the 4 x 4 photo on the right side of the page. I also placed a scallop border bellow the 5 x 7 photo on the left side of the page.

Variation #7: I also opted to leave out the journaling for now until I can figure out the date these pictures were taken. I plan to put it under the 4 x 4 photo.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

10 comments:

Crystal said...

The variations are wonderful. I love all the detailed embellishments. Thanks for the idea of the snow page as I have some of those pictures to scrap and nothing I was doing color wise was working. I love the pumpkin patch (one of our fav activities too). Great job ladies!

dawn said...

I love both these layouts. They both have my favorite theme, snowflakes and pumpkins. Great job stringing the snowflakes across the double page. I like that you used brown as the background. The pumpkins are the cutest ones and I love them in the little wheel barrel how fun is that. Great stitching on them and the stringing of them too. Great job to both of you. This has been a fun week.

Cindy said...

This layout is adorable! Love the photos, and all the handstitching and curly vines you added! I am so lovin all these details!

Erica Marshall said...

wow, these are amazing! Christina, I love the pumpkins and your variations! Great job ladies!

Christina Hoffman said...

Thank you ladies! ♥Christina

COScraps said...

These are wonderful...absolutely love the pumpkin LO!

Sue Althouse said...

I loved seeing the snowflakes and the pumpkins in place of the banner! Well done, ladies!

Unknown said...

hiya

wow great double sketch ;)

love the layouts created with it ;)

i havent done a double before, ill have to try it sumtime ;)

rileysmommy said...

I absolutely LOVE this layout! What paper did you use for the pumpkins?

Patchi said...

Those little pumpkins are amazing! I love the vine variation!