Saturday, July 9, 2011

Card Week, Part 6 - Guest Designers

••••••••••••••••
Card Sketch #9


You can download and print this sketch by clicking on the card sketches link found under the "printable sketches" tab on the right sidebar.



Flower card by Diane Iversen
Product list - brown and white cardstock; misc. ribbon; choc chip ink - stampin'up; butterfly stamp - stampin'up; pearls - stampin'up; misc. button; prima flower; hardware - stampin'up

I started this project by looking for the perfect ribbon in my scrap pile. I save all my scraps and anything that might make a handy scrapbook embellishment. I layered my ribbon in the same way the design calls for strips of paper. I needed something to wrap the ribbon around so I could place it on the front of the card and I came across a cardboard backing to some Making Memories stickers. Voila! It was perfect, and it even had polka-dots! My favorite! I cut it down to size and tore off the top and bottom edges. Then I used decorative scissors on a strip of white cardstock, inked the edges with chocolate chip ink and placed them at the ends. The Making Memories sticker package also had this beautiful border so I carefully cut it out and used it at the bottom of the ribbon. (I just love to recycle.)

I wasn't sure what to use for words on my card so I decided to use an embellishment in place of a sentiment. I used the hodge-podge hardware frame and placed a contrasting flower and button in the middle. And, of course, loving butterflies the way I do, I had to put a butterfly on the flower. I used self sticking pearls for the middle.

I really like the texture and dimension of this card. I usually make my own envelopes, but this time I opted to just line the inside of an existing envelope with matching polka-dot paper.

 • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


"Hello" card by Diane Iversen
Supplies - Black, White and Red Cardstock; Scrap Paper; Lady bug stamps by Stampin' Up and Hero Arts; Letter Stickers - Cloud Nine Design; Black Felt Tip Pen; Water Color Pencils - Stampin' Up; Pin: Maya Road

I love this card sketch because it gives me a chance to use all my scraps! All of the strips are scrap paper and I also used a piece of ribbon. I used ladybug stamps and then stamped an extra set, colored them in with water color pencils and cut them out. I used thick glue dots and placed the cut outs over the stamped images to give them a little dimension. The fanned edge around the "bug me anytime" was created by scoring a strip of black cardstock and accordion folding it and adhering the ends together. Then I used a pin left over from another project and another piece of scrap ribbon. I finished off by drawing a broken line over the white cardstock pieces.

 • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


"Thanks" card by Amy Wheeler
Supplies Used - Patterned Papers: Cosmo Cricket; Border Stickers: Pink Paislee; Ribbon: May Arts; Alphabet Stickers: Adorn It

I'm not usually a card maker, but do enjoy making them when I am just down to scraps with a kit or paper line I'm using. I had a whole package of the new Pink Paislee borders from their Hometown Summer line and when I saw this sketch, I just knew I had found a use for some of those borders.

Variation #1: I used patterned paper to cover the base of my premade card (from Michaels).

Variation #2: Instead of using strips of patterned paper, I used border sticker strips alternating with strips of ribbon.

Variation #3: Since a couple of my strips were wider than those on the sketch, I adjusted to only use four strips across my card.

Variation #4: With my top strip being a banner, I opted to add my title on the ribbon just below it.

This card came together really quick!

 • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


Two cards by Amy Wheeler
Supplies Used - Patterned Paper: Crate Paper; Border Stickers: Pebbles; Alphabet Stickers: Paper Trunk

I had a set of border stickers by Pebbles in a kit I received. I thought they were really cute, but realized after completing several pages that I'd barely touched them. This card sketch gave me a reason to put them to good use! By using a coordinating sheet of patterned paper and one set of alphas, I was able to whip up two adorable cards in no time.


"Congrats" card

Variation #1: I used patterned paper to cover the base of my premade card (from Michaels).

Variation #2: I flipped the card so it would open from the bottom.

Variation #3: Instead of using strips of patterned paper, I used border sticker strips.

Variation #4: Since the height of my card was smaller than shown on the sketch, I only used three sticker strips on my card. However, I LOVED the bird strip and really wanted to use it, so I added it on top of the wide polka dot strip in the center of the card.

Variation #5: Instead of placing my title on one of the strips, I added it in the lower right corner.


Blank card

Variation #1: Again, I used patterned paper to cover the base of my premade card (from Michaels).

Variation #2: Although I started adding the sticker strips so the card would open from the side, I wanted to include the leaf" sticker (on far left), but it then the leaves would be sideways, I then decided to flip the card so it would open from the bottom.

Variation #3: With the card flipped, "something" was missing, so I added the flying butterfly sticker strip along the bottom edge.

Variation #4: I decided not to include a title on this card. I will be able to use it for any occasion now.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

4 comments:

dawn said...

WOW ladies, you did a great job on these. I'm loving the scraps/strips that were picked for these cards. Isn't fun to use up all our scraps, thanks Allison for a great sketch again this week.

Unknown said...

Scraps make the best cards! Love all these creations:)

Robbie said...

Such terrific cards!! Love all the different looks that you both got from the sketch! Great work!

Sue Althouse said...

I really liked seeing all the cards. This sketch is so versatile and gave me lots of ideas for using my stash!