Monday, August 15, 2011

Add-on Week, Part 1

•••••••••••••••••••••••••
Add-on Sketch #8

You can download and print this sketch by clicking on the add-on sketches link found under the "printable sketches" tab on the right sidebar.


"Time to Celebrate" card by Melissa Elsner
Supplies - Paper, Die Cut Sticker, Foil strips (taken off the pick): Pink Paislee; Cardstock: Bazzill Basics Paper; Letter Stickers: Cosmo Cricket; Bling: EK Success, Kaisercraft; Ribbon: Wrights; Pen: Uniball Signo

I almost used my Silhouette to cut out the hat shape but I decided to follow the sketch directions instead. I liked the hands on cutting approach. Using the same pattern paper through the design, I cut my strips and then did faux stitching in between the pink strips. A little bit of bling and the die cut sticker helped complete the card. I love how using the add-on sketches can add some spice to a clean and simple project.

  • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


"Birthday Invitation" card by Jill Sarginson
Supplies Used - Cardstock: Bazzill Basics; Patterned Paper: American Crafts; Tools: Fiskars Scallop Sentiment border punch, circle punch, Creative Memories circle punch; Ink: Vibrance: Floss:  DMC;Button: unknown

As usual, I stuck pretty closely to the sketch here. I opted to use a diagonal patterned piece of pattern paper as my base - this made it really easy to apply the strips of paper on top of. Because the lines are already there, you simply have to adhere and then snip the edges off, using the base paper as your guide. I inked the layers so that they popped out more.

  • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


"Happy Birthday" card by Allison Davis
Supplies - Cardstock, patterned paper, brads, and flower: American Crafts; Border punch: Fiskars

I stayed very, very close to the sketch to make the hat on my birthday card. I followed the size of the hat, the same size of strips and used the exact same placement as the sketch. Here are my two very small variations:

Variation #1 - I added a few rows of brads in with the strips.

Variation #2 - I used a smaller scallop strip for the bottom than what is suggested on the sketch.

  • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Counterfeit Kit Challenge - Sketch Swap Challenge

This month Sketch Support is sponsoring Counterfeit Kit Challenge and they have planned some fun sketch challenges. The first one is a Sketch Swap challenge. You pick a sketch and then make something that is the opposite of the sketch. If you pick a card sketch, make a layout. If you pick a layout sketch, make a card.

I love this challenge! When using a card sketch you can take the main element on the sketch and use it as a larger design of papers or maybe an embellishment on your layout. With a layout sketch you can take an element like maybe a cluster of embellishments or a scaled down version of the paper design and incorporate it into a card. It's such a great way to stretch your creativity and really get the most out of sketch.

I thought it would be fun to share some of the projects we've created on Sketch Support that have been the opposite of the original idea.

Card Sketch #6


Shari Thurman used the general design of Card Sketch #6 as the background design on her layout.


Card Sketch #8


I used the design of Card Sketch #8 as the design of my two-page layout.


One-page Sketch #9


Melissa Elsner used the design of One-page Sketch #9 as the design for her card.


I always say it, just because it's a layout sketch doesn't mean it has to be used for a layout!
•••••••••••••••••••••••••

4 comments:

dawn said...

I love all the cards and the fun colors for them. This week is going to be fun. The challenge swap is a cool idea too, they all look great.

Our favorite thing here Allison is the way you stretch our imaginations and show us so many different ways to see something. Thank you for sharing that talent with us. This goes for the DT too, your doing a great job here on SS and I'm always blown away by the ideas.

Crystal said...

How fun! Well our creations are up at CKCB and Card Sketch 8 was very popular! I can't wait to see what teh followers do with this awesome challenge. Thanks for sponsoring us this month!

COScraps said...

Very Nice Ladies... and I second what Dawn said!!! You all are talented and awesome and so glad you take the time to share with us.

Carolyn Wolff said...

Wow! I love the cards today.

Melissa-I love the added trim and the foil top on your card.

Jill-Amazing. The colours you chose are perfect.

Allison-I love how you added the brads to your design!