Saturday, June 11, 2011

Two-Page Week, Part 6 - Guest Designer

•••••••••••••••••••••••••
Two-page Sketch #16


You can download and print this sketch by clicking on the two-page sketches link found under the "printable sketches" tab on the right sidebar.


"Blo Karting" by Sue Bone
Supplies Used - Cardstock: Bazzill, Stampin Up and Club Scrap; Patterned Papers: Jillibean Soup, Basic Grey, Sassafras; Alphas: Jillibean Soup; Embellishments: Dymo tape, Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Broken Weathered wood and antique linen); Die cuts and embossing: Sizzix, Quickutz, Silhouette and
Cuttlebug

I will admit that when I received the sketch I was shocked - only three photos!! In my mind I was going to scrap lots of photos from our recent trip to the home of the Beatles, Liverpool. Photos of the Superlambanana will have to wait for another time. However I was surprised to find two sets of perfect photos from the previous week. So here is the first.

Variation #1: I flipped the sketch so that it was the opposite way as my photos were facing the wrong way

Variation #2: The clouds were perfect for my photos but there aren't many butterflies on a windy beach so I substituted the seagulls for the butterflies. I cut the clouds using my Silhouette and embossed them using Cuttlebug and Sizzix folders. The seagulls were Quickutz and Sizzix dies with a smattering of weathered wood distress ink on the edges.

Variation #3: Instead of the flowers I cut a stencil from a photo I found on the web of La Rocco Tower which you can just see in the background of the small photo on the left handside. I used my two colours of distress inks to do a subtle shadow.


Variation #4: Instead of using strips of card for the journalling I used strips of Dymo tape. Fortunately I have a good stock of a variety of colours.

Variation #5: As I had a long title I encroached on the block of patterned paper and stitched over the letters.

Variation #6: I also stitched down the horizontal strip which was a border strip from the yellow and blue floral by Sassafras.

I love the background Basic Grey Basics in white as it just has enough detail to make a more interesting base than just plain cardstock and the collection packs come with two sheets of each design so it's perfect for two page layouts.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
"Jersey Boat Show" by Sue Bone

Supplies Used - Cardstock: Coredinations (red), unknown (turquoise); Patterned Papers: Cosmo Cricket, Basic Grey, Paper Pizazz, American Crafts and Jenni Bowlin; Alphas: Making Memories; Embellishments: Tim Holtz Distress Ink (antique linen); Spellbinders die: unknown (ric rac)

Variation #1: I moved the smaller photo to the left so that the photos were chronological.

Variation #2: I substituted the stars for the clouds, butterflies and flowers. Some were cut from the Jenni Bowlin paper and others were cut from the red Coredinations star embossed cardstock with a Spellbinders die. I then sanded the embossed cardstock to reveal the secondary colour. I also cut an extra star and raised it off the patterned paper on the bottom right so as to create a visual triangle with the stars.


Variation #3: No stitching on the patterned papers

Again I used Basic Grey Basics in manila for the background as it just has enough detail to make a more interesting base than just plain card.
••••••••••••••••••••

3 comments:

dawn said...

I like both the layouts and that they had white as the background paper. It really made your strips pop with color. Great job ladies.

Shari Thurman said...

Great job sue! I love them both. The clouds on the first layout are amazing. Love that you are from Jersey. It's interesting how the united states got their names for all our 50 states. Thanks for the historic insight.

Mitralee said...

http://mitralee.blogspot.com/2011/06/aarons-walk.html

my version of your layout, thanks for sharing!